1910: Koxit George photo
“Picture postcard with photograph of Koxit George, the Chief of the Moses band, standing with his horse and dogs near a cabin at St. Mary’s Mission…”…In 1887, Chief Moses met with Koxit George and other chiefs at Omak Creek to decide if the missionaries would be allowed to remain in the area.
By 1910, St. Mary’s Mission, run by Jesuit Priest, Father DeRouge, boasted a junior college, church and a post office.”
(Image credit: Plateau People’s Web Portal)
Koxit (kákshət ‘broken, busted; injured’) George was a well-known Chinuk Wawa name in north-central Washington State in frontier times and after.
We also find his name spelled Coxit, Coxey (maybe influenced by the well-known “Coxey’s Army“ of 1894), et al.
He was also known as William George.
That Salish-dominated region, late to be settled and remote from population centers to this day, held on to CW for longer than others.
Thus, Jargon names remained in use longer there. For example, Tenas (‘little’) George Runnels comes to mind. He was the husband of Skocum (‘strong’) Analix.