I put a bunch of info in my profile, but realize I should write something here:
I’m a linguist. My mentor was the late, inimitable Robert Austerlitz. My dissertation is about a pidgin dialect ‘Kamloops Chinuk Wawa’, and its writing system ‘Chinuk pipa’. It’s an analysis of around 150 of maybe 750 such Aboriginal-written texts I’ve located.
I’m interested in–
- language contact (esp. pidgins and The West)
- Chinook Jargon
- ‘French of the Mountains’
- aboriginal Pacific Northwest languages
- language revitalization
- historical and anthropological study of language
- writing systems
- missionary linguistics
- ‘Basic Linguistic Theory’ (grammatical description + lexicography + text collection)
- names (onomastics)
- words that can’t be spelled (for example what I might approximate as “cazh”, 1980s slang for “casual; cool”.)
Job offers are welcome, my friend. Freelance to full-time.
Klahawiam x naika nim x Dave