There’s some Chinook Jargon/Chinuk Wawa video that’s really worth watching.
(By the way, check out my page of audio recordings in the language.)
I liked these (suggest more to me!):
Short dramatic film:
- Small Pleasures by Karin Lee (set in Barkerville, BC, 1860s)
- Portland Timbers Army (soccer fans)
- Duane Pasco’s incredibly catchy “Klootzman Kopa Wayhut” song
- Bruce Subiyay Miller’s (Skokomish) dukwibalh “Chinook Jargon Song”
- Compare: Chinook song played at Kristy’s grad party
- Compare: Kate and Natalie drumming/singing The Changer (Chinook Jargon song)
- “O Cascadia” anthem (Chinook Jargon version)
- “My Sweet Little Cheechako” by Grant Simpson
- This clap-stick making instructional video has a traditional Chinuk Wawa song at about 33:38
- “Chinook Wawa Night” with the Where Are Your Keys folks
- “Me Speaking Cascadian“, a language that owes a lot to Chinuk Wawa
- “Three Bears” (take note, turning on ‘subtitles/CC’ generates gibberish):
- Language in action: “Chinook Jargon Settlers of Catan“
- “We’ll All Get There Together“
- Tall ships trade with Chinook Tribe (listen for a word of Chinook)
laxayam, David. Masi for including Natalie’s and my performance on your list!
You need some videos of real speakers of this language
dret kakwa ma wawa, tʰat bu. łush pus ma mash nanch-leryuban kʰapa nay pi na munk-miłət kʰanawi ukuk yəkwa!
I noticed that the “O Cascadia” link is broken. Do you know of another place to find this video? I’d love to see it. Last summer when Team Cascadia played at the ConIFA World Cup in London, the fans sang the song in English, and I commented that it would have been grea to sing it in Chinook Wawa as well. I hope the recording or the lyrics are still available.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for noticing and mentioning this, Trevor, I will try looking for it…